Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dyeing for the weekend



I have been busy over dyeing some skeins of Sullivans 4 ply sock wool which I first tried to dye with the help of Helen at the Waratah Fibres workshop I went on with the Canberra knitting crew.
I had 5 tubs of Jacquards acid dye hiding under my bed for months, and now I knew how to dye thanks to Helen, so I got started!

I over dyed my lace weight Filatura di Crosa again with some more purple to make the colours a tiny bit deeper (above). Once these yarns were wound into little cakes they all looked so yummy, but I will save that for another day.

Below is a swatch for Sylvi with Patons Jet. After posting frustrated comments on ravelry about yarn weight I have decided the terms 12 ply and Bulky are very vague, it is very open to interpretation and can vary a lot from yarn to yarn. I am going to go out on a limb and say that this yarn is better knitted as a 10 ply, as it just doesn't work in any bulky patterns I try to knit it in. Agggghhhh! It is a pretty colour though :)


ps my sister is crazy

2 comments:

Lea said...

that green is to dye for!

The Human Potato said...

I am dyeing to see what you do next.